The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


How to Declare a Major in the College of Engineering

To Change Your Major to Engineering:

  1. Read through the information below carefully.
  2. Look at our Undergraduate Majors to determine which major interests you.
  3. Attend an information session or meet with an advisor (if all information session dates have passed.)
  4. Fill out Change of Major Form only after meeting ALL criteria, including published grades in SPIRE.

Spring 2023 overrides will be provided over email.  Advising will also be available via email or Zoom.

Please email OR with the following:

  1. Name
  2. Spire ID
  3. Enrollment Appointment (DATE AND TIME)
  4. Override requests (5-digit course code that best fits with your class schedule)
  5. Intended Spring 2023 courses (for optional advising)

Override requests will be processed beginning December.  If you have any additional questions, please include them in your email.

Criteria for on-campus change of major:

Students in other majors on campus must meet the following criteria to be eligible to enter the College of Engineering as a PR-ENGIN major:

  • Academic good standing
  • Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better
  • C or better in Math 131*, EnglWr 112 and either Chem 111 or Physics 151
  • For the Spring 2021 semester, if you elect P/F in one of the required courses, underlying grades will be used to determine your eligibility to switch into the College of Engineering.  For the Spring 2021 semester ONLY, a C- or better is acceptable in these required courses.

*If you have AP Credit for Math 131, you must take Math 132 instead.

You must apply and be admitted to the College no later than your fourth semester at the University.  Please note that you should be taking Engineering courses BEFORE this to stay on track to graduate within four to five years.

Use a Change of Major Form only upon meeting eligibility criteria above.

Change of majors are processed at the end of each semester, after grades have been finalized by the Registrar’s Office.  If you submit your request in the middle of the semester and do qualify to switch, please note that it could take up to three weeks to process your request!


Engineering Course Override Request

Check course restrictions on SPIRE to be certain you need an override.

For spring overrides, students should contact the engineering department overseeing the desired course to request an override. Please include your full name and ID number, as well as a phone number where you can be reached. Please also make sure your course schedule is free of time conflicts and that you have adequate credits available to enroll in an additional course.

Departmental contact information:

  • Chemical Engineering: Tami Paluca (
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering: Jodi Ozdarski (
  • Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering: Fill out the ECE override request form
  • Mechanical and Industrial Engineering: Kevin Romani (
  • Biomedical Engineering: Natalia Kolk ( *for ECE 122, please fill out the ECE override request form linked above. Comp Sci 121, the alternative course, is managed by the College of Information and Computer Science and may be available in SPIRE.

Please Note: an override will not enable you to enroll in the course via SPIRE.  The Department will enroll you in the course.


I am a PR-ENGIN. How do I get into my engineering major?

Each engineering department has specific criteria for admission. PR-ENGIN student records are audited twice a year [January and July] and are automatically transferred to the major upon achieving the below criteria. If you do not see your major changed before the start of the next semester, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at or fill out the Change of Engineering Track form linked below.

Grade of C or better in:

  • English Writing 112
  • Math 131
  • Math 132
  • Engin 100, 110, 111, 112, 113, or 114
  • Physics 151
  • Chem 111* or Physics 152
  • Second semester Engineering Introductory Course satisfying Major Requirement by discipline:
    • Biomedical: ECE 122, CMPSCI 119, or CMPSCI 121 (INFO 190S as of Spring 2023)
    • Chemical: Chem-Eng 120
    • Civil: CE-Engin 121
    • Electrical and Computer: ECE 122 (students entering UMass fall 2016 or later) or CMPSCI 121 (students entering UMass before fall 2016)
    • Mechanical and Industrial: M&I-Eng 124 (or CMPSCI 121 [INFO 190S as of Spring 2023] or ECE 122 or CMPSCI 119)
  • Both cumulative, and most recent semester (Fall or Spring term), GPA of 2.0 or above

For the Spring 2021 semester, if you elect P/F in one of these courses, underlying grades will be used to determine your eligiblity to be promoted into your Engineering major.  For the Spring 2021 semester only, a C- or better is acceptable in these required courses.

*Chem 111 may be satisfied by taking the Honors equivalent: Chem 121H


  • A C- or lower is not sufficient to satisfy the requirement.
  • Intro to Engineering courses (100, 110, 111, 112, 113, and 114) are interchangeable for admission to majors. For example, if a student takes Engin 110 (Intro to Chemical Engineering) and then decides to major in Civil Engineering, he/she does not need to take Engin 111.
  • If you are still a PR-ENGIN student and should be moved into your BS program, please fill out the Change of Engineering Track form.  If you have additional questions, please email Julia Hoke (


Not yet a UMass Student? Get information on applying »