To Change Your Major to Engineering:
Spring 2022 Overrides and Advising for ET Majors/Students in other majors
Criteria for on-campus change of major:
Students in other majors on campus must meet the following criteria to be eligible to enter the College of Engineering as a PR-ENGIN major:
- Academic good standing
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better
- C or better in Math 131*, EnglWr 112 and either Chem 111 or Physics 151
- For the Spring 2021 semester, if you elect P/F in one of the required courses, underlying grades will be used to determine your eligibility to switch into the College of Engineering. For the Spring 2021 semester only, a C- or better is acceptable in these required courses.
*If you have AP Credit for Math 131, you must take Math 132 instead.
You must apply and be admitted to the College no later than your fourth semester at the University.
Use a Change of Major Form only upon meeting eligibility criteria above.
Change of majors are processed at the end of each semester, after grades have been finalized by the Registrar’s Office.
Engineering Course Override Request
Check course restrictions on SPIRE to be certain you need an override.
For spring overrides, students should contact the engineering department overseeing the desired course to request an override. Please include your full name and ID number, as well as a phone number where you can be reached. Please also make sure your course schedule is free of time conflicts and that you have adequate credits available to enroll in an additional course.
Departmental contact information:
- Chemical Engineering: Tami Paluca (email@example.com)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering: Jodi Ozdarski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering: Fill out the ECE override request form
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineering: Kevin Romani (email@example.com)
- Biomedical Engineering: Natalia Kolk (firstname.lastname@example.org) *for ECE 122, please fill out the ECE override request form linked above. Comp Sci 121, the alternative course, is managed by the College of Information and Computer Science and may be available in SPIRE.
Please Note: an override will not enable you to enroll in the course via SPIRE. The Department will enroll you in the course.
I am a PR-ENGIN. How do I get into my engineering major?
Each engineering department has specific criteria for admission. PR-ENGIN student records are audited twice a year [January and July] and are automatically transferred to the major upon achieving the below criteria. If you do not see your major changed before the start of the next semester, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at email@example.com or fill out the Change of Engineering Track form linked below.
Grade of C or better in:
For the Spring 2021 semester, if you elect P/F in one of these courses, underlying grades will be used to determine your eligiblity to be promoted into your Engineering major. For the Spring 2021 semester only, a C- or better is acceptable in these required courses.
*Chem 111 may be satisfied by taking the Honors equivalent: Chem 121H