In Spring 2020, The College of Engineering inaugurated a college level DEI award. The purpose of this award is to recognize and reward a member of the College community for contributions to increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) of the engineering profession both within and outside of the university.
2020 Awardee: Sanket Sabnis
Sanket is a Chemical Engineering PhD candidate. Sanket’s work highlights issues faced by LGBTQ+ individuals in STEM and providing tips to be good allies. Each department was allowed to nominate one individual at any level.
College Deadline: February 14
Submission materials needed:
- Nominating letter from the department head
- DE&I contribution statement and list of synergistic work from the candidate. Please specifically note any contributions in the following areas (more welcome):
significant outreach to the community:
- commitment to promoting DE&I and building community at the undergraduate, graduate, and faculty levels within the department
- commitment to promoting DE&I and building community at the undergraduate, graduate, and faculty levels within the College
- commitment to promoting DE&I and building community outside of the University.
- Up to three additional supporting letters of no more than two pages. Letters may be from colleagues within and outside of the university as well as students (current and former) and staff.
Department head submits the packet of information to Assistant Dean Paula Rees.
Each department may make one nomination.
All faculty, staff, and students in the College of Engineering community
College evaluation process
A committee consisting of five representatives from the College senior leadership team and Dean’s Advisory Board.