2022/23 College of Engineering Scholarship Application Process for Currently Enrolled Engineering Majors
December 13, 2021 — Online Application Process Opens
March 6, 2022 — Deadline to Submit Scholarship Application
May–June 2022 — Recipients are notified via email
More than $400,000 in undergraduate scholarship support was awarded by the College of Engineering for academic year 2021/22 to help students reach their academic and professional goals. These scholarships were generously funded by alumni and friends who wish to recognize academic success and/or address the unmet financial need of our students.
Academic Works, the scholarship system for the university, automatically matches you with the scholarships and financial awards for which you are eligible. These include scholarships and financial awards offered through the College of Engineering, Commonwealth Honors College, the Alumni Association, financial aid, and your major department. All scholarships offered at UMass are in the AcademicWorks Platform. These include funding for internships, study abroad, financial need, and research. Please note that qualifying/matching does not guarantee you will receive a scholarship.
Simply enroll in AcademicWorks, fill out both the UMass general application and the College of Engineering Application to get started.
How to Enroll and Apply:
- Go to the AcademicWorks webpage and sign in with your UMass Net ID and password.
- Complete both the General and College of Engineering Applications. Please be sure to answer ALL questions. Essays should be well thought-out and presented professionally, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Please note you will not see applications for individual scholarships, you will only see the General and COE Applications.
- Click on any recommended opportunity links and upload supplementary documents (scholarship specific essays, resumes, letters from faculty, etc.).
- Check your dashboard, which shows you the status of any pending and submitted applications.
What Happens After You Apply
- Applications are reviewed — matched to criteria from the donor.
- You may be asked to interview for scholarships tied to internships.
- The scholarship committee, with representatives from each department, meets to begin selecting recipients.
- Notification emails are sent through AcademicWorks in early summer.
- You will be required to complete a thank you letter to your scholarship donor and to submit the letter through AcademicWorks for review and approval.
- Credit will be applied to your university bill and will appear as an engineering scholarship.
- Scholarships may be affected if you decide to change your major or are not enrolled as a full-time student during the 22-23 school year.
- If other scholarships become available during the academic year, you will be considered and notified if you are selected.
If you have questions about the software, please email email@example.com.
All CURRENT undergraduate College of Engineering students who intend to return to UMass Amherst for the 2022-2023 academic year are encouraged to apply!
We have received a few questions about the list of recommended opportunities that you will see in AcademicWorks after completing your General and College of Engineering Applications. By completing the College of Engineering scholarship application, you are automatically applied to all Engineering scholarships for which you qualify*. The list of recommended opportunities are scholarships that are available campus-wide that require additional application materials. You will not see the Engineering scholarships in the list of recommended opportunities because you do not need to submit additional materials for them.
*Please note that qualifying does not guarantee you will receive a scholarship. You will be notified via your UMass email if you are selected to receive a scholarship.
Please direct questions to:
Matt Langer, firstname.lastname@example.org
First-year engineering majors entering UMass Amherst in Fall:
There are a limited number of merit scholarships offered through the University Admissions Office to the top applicants in the incoming class. Selection for these scholarships is based on your application to UMass Amherst (i.e. high school transcript, SAT scores, class rank, essay, etc.). There is no separate application to submit. For more information, visit the main UMass scholarships page.