There are many tutoring services that are available for all engineering students. Resources include Help Centers in some departments; Tutoring, ExSEL and Supplemental Instruction offered by the Learning Resource Center; and group study/tutoring/workshops offered by the Diversity Programs Office and in collaboration with some of the student engineering societies. No application is needed for any of these tutoring resources and they are FREE. Many of the LRC resources, however, require you to make appointments through the EAB SSC. Questions or concerns should be directed towards Assistant Dean Paula Rees (email@example.com, Marcus 128b - in the Engineering Community, Equity and Inclusion Hub, 413.545.6324).
If you require help that is not covered by the resources below [In-House Support or LRC tutoring, ExSEL and SI], please fill out an ACADEMIC SUPPORT REQUEST FORM. We'll do our best to support your needs.
If you are interested in serving as a peer academic support leader, please let us know via this link.
The Learning Resource Center (LRC) provides peer tutoring, Excellence through Student Enhance Learning (ExSEL) course support, and supplemental instruction (SI).
10th Floor, W.E.B. DuBois Library
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is informal, peer facilitated review sessions for a particular course. During SI sessions, students compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools and predict test items. The SI leader is a student who has successfully completed the course. The student SI leader also sits in on course lectures for the current semester. Courses in Engineering with Supplemental Instruction for Fall 2019 are:
- Tuesdays, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, ELab 304
- Thursdays, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, ELab 304
- Sundays, 7:00 - 8:15 pm, ELab 327
- Wednesdays, 7:00 - 8:15 pm, Marston 211
- Mondays, 7:00 - 8:15, MRST 211
- Wednesdays 8:30 - 9:45 pm, MRST 211
ECE 210 - SI CANCELED!! In lieu of SI the following tutoring support is available in Marcus 8
- Mondays, 4:00 - 8:00 pm, Marcus Mei
- Mondays, 8:00 - 10:00 pm, Saurav Nakarmi
- Tuesdays, 6:00 - 8:00 pm, Luan Vo
- Tuesdays, 8:00 - 10:00 pm, Saurav Nakarmi
- Thursdays, 2:00 - 4:00 pm, Luan Vo
- Fridays, 2:00 - 6:00 pm, Yudong Lu
- Sundays, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, ELab 325
- Tuesdays, 7:00 - 8:15 pm, ELab 305
- Mondays, 7:00 - 8:15 pm, LGRT 123
- Wednesdays, 8:30 - 9:45 pm, ELab 305
- Mondays, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, ELab 304
- Wednesdays, 7:00 - 8:15 pm, ELab 119
SI is also available for the following courses taken by engineering students: Chem 111, Chem 112, Chem 261, Chem 262, CS 121, CS 250, Physics 151, Physics 152.
Please double check the LRC web and/or with your instructor for days, times and locations of SI sessions.
Excellence through Student Enhance Learning (ExSEL) is the LRC's newest program. Students participate in a weekly 75 minute small group workshop facilitated by a highly trained and dynamic peer leader. To insure a spot you MUST sign up through the LRC web page (see below). Courses in Engineering with ExSEL for Fall 2019 are:
Chem-Eng 220 -
- Tuesdays, 7:00 - 8:15 pm, W.E.B. Du Bois Library - Room 1302
- Thursdays, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, W.E.B. Du Bois Library - Room 1302
Math 131 -
- Tuesdays, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, W.E.B. Du Bois Library - Room 1205
Book a spot in an ExSEL session via the EAB SSC platform, or through the link on the LRC front page: www.umass.edu/lrc. Drop in spots are also available. Please go to the LRC web to see the schedule of ExSEL sessions if you wish to drop in.
Sunday – Thursday
1:00 PM to 10:00 PM (by appointment - schedules only posted two weeks in advance)
Friday Drop-Ins for several classes, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Peer tutors have gone through training to help assist you with homework, assignments, and example problems from class. Peer tutoring at the LRC is one-on-one, and is free. All LRC tutoring is located on the 10th floor of the Library. Tutoring is available for most Chemistry, Physics, and Math courses and for many Engineering, Biology and Computer Science courses.
Core courses in the engineering curriculum tutored in Fall 2019 are now posted on their website and include:
- CEE 244
- Chem-Eng 220
- Chemistry 112, 112, 121H, 261, 262, 269
- ECE 122, 124, 201, 210
- Engin 100
- Engin 112
- MIE 201, 210, 230
- Math 131, 132, 233, 331
- Physics 151, 152
Book a tutoring appointment via the EAB SSC platform, or through the link on the LRC front page: www.umass.edu/lrc.
IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT, CALL THE LRC BETWEEN 1 PM AND 10 PM: 413-545-5334. MATH COURSES ALSO HAVE DROP IN TUTORING IN LGRT 140 FROM M-TH, 10 AM - 3 PM.
The College of Engineering In-House Support
Depending on need, the College coordinates across the departments to provide support for engineering courses not covered with sufficient TA support or by the LRC (preferred support mechanisms). We will work with faculty and students to cover additional courses as requests are received through the on-line request form.
AICHE Chem Eng Tutoring
For the Fall 2019 semester, the student chapter of the American Institute for Chemical Engineers (AICHE) is working with faculty to offering tutoring support in Goessman 155 (the CRIB) for the following:
CHEM-Eng 226, Thermo I - Matt Naughton.
- Tuesdays 2:30 - 4:30 pm* [*10/1 only, 4 - 6 pm]
- Thursdays 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- Fridays 10:00 - 11:00 am
- CHEM-Eng 325, Thermo II.
- CHEM-Eng 330, Fluids.
- CHEM-Eng 475, Physical Chemistry.
Details on days/times will be provided ASAP.
No study jams are currently scheduled for Fall 2019. Talk to your professor if you think a Study Jam would be useful for a course, or fill out a request form.
Electrical & Computing Engineering Support for Software through the Curriculum
The ECE department anticipates providing drop in hours for support on computer programs used throughout the curriculum, such as Excel, Matlab, and P-Spice. Details will be posted when available, but hours will likely be 4 - 8 pm Sunday - Thursday.
Academic Workshops/Other Drop in Support
Matlab and Solidworks Drop-In Support with an MIE focus is available!
- WHERE: ELab 203E - The Exploratorium
- WHEN: Mondays and Wednesdays, 2:00 - 4:30
- WHO: Led by Senior Abhishek Ram (firstname.lastname@example.org)
CEE 260/MIE 273 Support, Including Matlab
- WHERE: Marston 126
- Mondays 12:30 - 1:30 pm
- Wednesdays 11:00 am to Noon
- Fridays 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- WHO: Led by Dan Emerson
We are also working with faculty in select classes on a practice exam initiative. Stay tuned!
There are other resources on campus that also offer tutoring or provide good places for individual or group study. These include:
- Lower Level, W.E.B. Du Bois Library
- Computer Stations
- Breakout / Group Study Rooms
Math 131, 132 and 233 Tutoring Center
- 140 LGRT (Lederle Tower)
- Tutoring Math 131 / 132 / 233
- Mondays - Thursday, 10 am - 3 pm
Pre-Calculus Tutoring Center
- 146 LGRT (Lederle Tower)
- If you are struggling with the pre-calc elements of Calc I, see Fall 2019 PreCalc Help Center Schedule at above link
Science and Engineering Library
- Lederle Graduate Research Center, Lowrise A273
- Computers and group study rooms