Registration and Advising Information for ME, IE, Pr-Engin (ME) and Pr-Engin (IE) students
- March 25-26: Please sign up for an advising appointment on your advisor's office door. (Your advisor is listed on SPIRE.)
- March 27 - April 3: Advising meetings will be held. Seniors are encouraged to meet with their advisors early in the advising period so that they can register early for courses needed for graduation.
- After Meeting Your Advisor and no later than April 11: Go to Dorothy Adams’ office, ELab 208F, and give her a copy of the Course Selection Form (to insure that a hold will not be placed on your Spire account).
- Important Information: It is extremely important to observe these dates for advising. If you do not attend your designated advising session, a HOLD will be placed on your SPIRE account. You will be unable to register for classes and/or make changes to your schedule, until the HOLD is lifted. HOLDs will not be lifted until the end of the semester.
Read additional notes from the MIE Department
Students may pick up registration materials in the Office of Student Affairs, 126 Marston Hall or from (outside of) Elab 208F.
You should have the following materials with you when you meet your advisor
- A copy of your Academic Requirements report from SPIRE. (In SPIRE, go to "Other academics", then choose "Academic requirements".
- An annotated degree program Flowchart showing completed courses and grades and courses in progress
- A Course Selection Form, completed to the extent possible.
Class of 2017, and any Pr-Engin students who are or will be eligible to enter the ME or IE major after the spring semester should also bring a change of major form with them.
Please arrive at your advising appointment on time with a draft of next semester’s academic plan. The degree program flowchart and the MIE Department registration notes should be used to develop your plan.
- Students fill out the top of the Course Selection Form and the current semester box.
- Check SPIRE to make sure there are no time conflicts in your plan and that the courses you propose are being offered next semester.
- Discuss your proposed schedule with your Advisor. Let your advisor know of any problems you are having, questions you have, or advice you need.
When the advising session is finished, both Faculty Advisor and Student sign the Course Selection Form.
- Students keep the yellow copy of the Course Selection Form to complete SPIRE Registration.
- The student takes the white copy to Dorothy Adams in ELab 208F (This step insures that a hold will not be placed on the students’ SPIRE account).
- The Course Selection Form is a plan based on a mid-semester discussion between Student and Advisor concerning the appropriate courses to take during the next semester. If your interests change, and depending on the grades you receive at the end of the current semester, you may need to change your plan and/or repeat courses. All changes should be discussed with your Advisor or Dr. Rinderle.
Admission to the Major:
To be admitted to the ME or IE major, a student must complete, with a grade of C or better, the following courses in the freshman year: Math 131 and Math 132, Engin 110 or 111 or 112 or 113; CHEM-ENG 120 or CE-ENGIN 121 or CS 121 or M&I-ENG 124; Chem 111; and Physics 151/153*. A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 is also required.
*Physics 151 (4 credits) for students who entered the University after June 2010.