2017/18 College of Engineering Scholarship Application Process for Currently Enrolled Engineering Majors
December 7, 2016 — Online Application Process Opens
February 17, 2017 — Deadline to Submit Scholarship Application
Summer 2017 — Recipients are notified
More than $400,000 in undergraduate scholarship support was awarded by the College of Engineering for academic year 2017/18. These scholarships were generously funded by alumni and friends who wish to recognize academic success and/or address the unmet financial need of our students.
The College of Engineering Scholarship Program application process occurs just once annually, from early December until the third Friday in February. Applications are for the next academic year. All full-time engineering majors who will be sophomores, juniors, or seniors are invited to submit a scholarship application. These engineering scholarships are independent of financial aid and are not meant as a replacement. Please check the University Financial Aid website for their deadlines.
How Do I Get Started?
Make sure you are in the right frame of mind when you start. Be positive!
All CURRENT undergraduate College of Engineering students who intend to return to UMass Amherst for the 2017-2018 academic year are encouraged to apply! Please note that you cannot save your application data and return to it later. The application must be completed in one session. Please prepare your essay questions answers prior to starting the online application, you can cut and paste them in. Remember, spelling and grammar counts!
This year’s questions are:
1) Describe a leadership experience in which you made a difference on campus or in your community.
2) Describe your future goals and aspirations and how you plan to make them a reality.
3) What sentiments do you wish to share with the individual who contributed the funding for your scholarship? What do you feel is important for this benefactor to know about you?
Check back for details on the next round of applications in 2018
What Happens After You Apply
- Applications are reviewed — matched to criteria from the donor.
- You may be asked to interview for scholarships tied to internships
- The scholarship committee, with representatives from each department, meets in June to begin selecting recipients.
- Notification emails are sent over the summer.
- If asked, you are required to complete a thank you letter for your scholarship donor and submit electronically to the Office of Development.
- Credit will be applied to your university bill and will appear as an engineering scholarship.
- Scholarships may be affected if you decide to change your major or chose to work a co-op.
- If other scholarships become during the academic year, you will be considered and notified if you are selected.
- Selections are made by the College of Engineering Scholarship Committee, with faculty representation from each department.
- This one application makes you eligible for the hundreds of scholarships the college awards each year.
- 56.2% of UMass Amherst College of Engineering undergraduates qualify for need-based aid.
- 48.8% of students enrolled in the College of Engineering have a gap between their college expenses and the amount of financial aid, which is often referred to as unmet need.
- The average unmet need is $6,886.
- The awards vary annually based on available resources.
- Different awards vary in their eligibility criteria. In general, academic performance (2.5 GPA or higher), financial need, and activities are the primary criteria for full-time students majoring in engineering. Some scholarships may be tied to internships with companies.
- You must be enrolled full-time as an engineering major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and have completed at least one semester to be eligible for any of these scholarships.
Please direct questions to:
Lorraine E. Robidoux
Director, Student Programs and Events
University of Massachusetts Amherst
130 Natural Resources Road
Office of Student Affairs, Marston 130
Amherst, MA 01003
First-year engineering majors entering UMass Amherst in Fall:
There are a limited number of merit scholarships offered through the University Admissions Office to the top applicants in the incoming class. Selection for these scholarships is based on your application to UMass Amherst (i.e. high school transcript, SAT scores, class rank, essay, etc.). There is no separate application to submit. For more information, please visit: http://www.umass.edu/admissions/facts-and-figures/scholarships