University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance

Links

George A. Marston becomes first Dean of the College of Engineering

1947

George Marston was the first dean of the School of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts, a position he held from 1948 to 1963. With a tenure of 15 years, Marston oversaw the immense growth of the new engineering school and its departments.

Marston saw the need for an engineering school within the University of Massachusetts as hundreds of GIs returned home, hoping to become engineers. Although only an assistant professor at the time, Marston’s leadership and innovative thinking helped to create a space for the GIs at the University of Massachusetts.