University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance

Links

School creates first Engineering Library on campus

1955

The Engineering Library Opened in 1955. It was located on the second floor of Marston Hall, with Josephine Tudryn overlooking the books; while students, donating their time, covered the evening hours. Then, two part-time secretaries, Joanne Grady and Myrtle Blanchard, were responsible for the library. Margaret Kiley became the full-time librarian in September of 1957 and continued until the library’s closing in September of 1970, when it was relocated to the Physical Sciences Library.