The mission of the Multicultural Engineering Programs (MEP) is to provide comprehensive support services to increase the enrollment, retention, and graduation of students of African-American, Native American, Hispanic, and Cape Verdean descent in the engineering field. Since 1973, the UMass MEP has graduated a number of engineers. Today's MEP students have many resources at their disposal to assist them in a successful college experience and to attain a professional career in engineering.
Activities and Resources MEP and SHPE Offers:
- Professional development workshops
- Support of student chapters of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Graduate School information sessions
- Getty Ready for Advanced Degrees (GRAD) Lab Conference GEM Consortium
- National NSBE & SHPE Conferences
- Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Participation in Industry Advisory Council
- Engineering Students Reaching Out (ESRO) outreach program for middle and high school students interested in engineering
- Annual Diversity Programs Awards Reception takes place every spring semester. Students are recognized for their leadership and academic accomplishments. This event is sponsored by the Industrial Advisory Council.