The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Advising and Registration Information for Civil Engineering Majors

Fall 2022 Registration Notes

Summary of Steps (see below for details):                                                                    

  1. Schedule an advising appointment
  2. Review your Academic Requirements Report (ARR) on SPIRE
  3. Complete a fillable Course Selection Form (CSF) found here:
  4. E-mail your ARR and CSF to your advisor
  5. Meet with your advisor via Zoom or in person (advisor will indicate) between March 30 and April 8
  6. Enroll in classes once your enrollment appointment opens (beginning April 11)

CEE advising will be taking place either remotely via Zoom or in person for Fall 2022 registration.  Your faculty advisor will be in contact with you to give you details and to schedule a meeting time beginning the week of March 28.    Check SPIRE to determine when your enrollment appointment opens. Students must meet with an advisor before they can enroll in fall classes; an advising hold will be placed in your account until you have met with your advisor.

Students should prepare for the meeting with their advisor.  Download the CSF (Step 3) and fill out your personal information (top), the courses you are currently taking in the left set of columns labeled “Current Semester”, and, if you have an idea of what you’d like to take, start filling information on the right set of boxes labeled “Next Semester”.  You will discuss these courses with your advisor.  Students must type their name in the signature box at the bottom of the form.  Juniors should review their Academic Requirements Report (ARR) on SPIRE and bring questions about remaining course requirements with them to advising.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact your advisor, Dr. Brena (Chief Undergraduate Advisor), or Jodi Ozdarski.


Civil Engineering Requirements

All Sophomore, Junior and Senior students taking CEE classes should be CE majors. 

To be eligible to become a CE major, you must complete appropriate coursework and have earned grades of 'C' or better in the following courses: 

  • Math 131 & 132
  • Engin 111 (or equivalent)
  • Physics 151
  • Chem 111 or Physics 152
  • Englwp 112
  • 2nd Semester Engineering Intro Course Satisfying Major Requirements (CEE 121)

Students must retake any of these courses if they have not earned a C or better.  

Five hundred (500) level courses are open to undergraduates only if they are seniors (those within 30 credits of graduation) and have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or by consent of the instructor.


Academic Requirements Report

This report is used for graduation clearance. Each student should check their Academic Requirements Report (ARR) on SPIRE and contact Jodi Ozdarski if there are any errors or omissions, particularly regarding transfer credits, AP credits, elective courses, and GenEd courses.


CEE Seniors

Graduating seniors must check their SPIRE Graduation Date and Academic Requirements Report to verify that all degree requirements will be satisfied at the end of their last semester. Failing to ensure that all requirements are satisfied may delay graduation. It is particularly important to verify that credits for any classes taken elsewhere (summer, semester abroad, etc.) have transferred into UMass and are correctly accounted to satisfy any required credits.


Full-time Student Status

Undergraduate students must take a minimum of 12 credits per semester to retain full-time student status. If a student falls below this minimum, you will not be eligible for campus housing, may risk losing any financial aid you have been awarded, and may lose any UMass health coverage; see the appropriate campus office if you have any questions. 


Transfer Credit

Before taking classes at another campus, students must complete a transfer work prior approval form:; this is to prevent students from spending time and money on a class that will not transfer in for credit towards your undergraduate degree. Classes completed elsewhere do not impact your UMass cum GPA; they will not count for credit unless a grade of “C-“ or better is earned. The Registrar’s Office approves courses taken to satisfy any general education requirements, the Office of Student Affairs in 126 Marston Hall approves all science and math courses, and the Chief Undergraduate Advisor, CUA (Prof. Brena) approves all CEE courses. If you have any problems with transfer credit, send an email to the CUA with an explanation, your name, student ID, and course information (both course description and syllabus).

Note: course(s) you completed elsewhere must appear on your UMass transcript before CEE course credit can be awarded. Courses taken elsewhere for the 3rd or greater time need approval from the Academic Dean.


Summer or Winter Classes

If you are interested in UMass Amherst summer or winter classes, request an enrollment appointment through SPIRE.   To enroll in a summer or winter class, first logon to SPIRE: Enrollment > Summer/Wtr/Non-deg Enroll Appt; then add the appropriate summer or winter session.


Course Substitution

Approval requires completion of the Substitution Form for Civil Engineering courses which is added to the student's file when a substitution is approved.   The Form shall include a summary of the course content and its relation to an existing course within the Department if any and a statement of the reason for the substitution.   Approval for the CEE course substitution must be granted by the student’s advisor, the instructor and/or group in the CEE subject area in which the substitution is requested, and the Undergraduate Program Director.  Approval of the instructor and/or group for the substitute course shall be based on the course syllabus and its relation to an existing course within the Department, and/or be based on the clear and definite career goals of the student. 


Independent Study

It is often possible to arrange an independent study which can be used as a CE Elective. Students are encouraged to approach faculty to discuss topics of mutual interest.  Note that only one independent study can be used towards a CE Elective; contact Jodi Ozdarski for the request form.


Fundamentals of Engineering Exam

Students should consider taking the FE exam during their last semester while undergraduate course knowledge is still familiar. The FE exam is the first step all Civil Engineers must take in the process towards becoming a licensed professional engineer (PE). The 8-hour exam consists of 180 multiple choice questions. After passing the FE exam, one must obtain at least 4 years of experience (accepted by specific state licensing board) and then take the Principles and Practice (PE) exam. See  for more information. Chi Epsilon in our department CEE typically coordinates free review sessions taught by CEE faculty every spring semester and communicates the schedule to students when available.



CEE Course Prerequisites

Fall 2022 Course Schedule

Fall 2022 Electives

CEE Flowchart