During this event, your name will be announced, and you will receive a commemorative UMass medal. A video screen will broadcast your time on stage, which will also be captured by a professional photographer.
- Guest information about the college's Senior Celebration Ceremony can be found here.
- These instructions are for the College of Engineering event specifically. The university undergraduate commencement day instructions for seniors can be found here.
- Information about cap & gown pickup and diplomas, as well as campus-wide opportunities for students can be found here.
- There is no rehearsal for either commencement event.
Saturday, May 14: Day-of Instructions
- Sign-in for graduates is required and starts at 8:30 a.m. You must arrive by 9:00 a.m.
- Wear your cap and gown.
- Wear you tassel on the left side (degrees will have been conferred on Friday)
- Doors to the gym open at 8:30 a.m. for family and guest seating.
- Do not bring any personal belongings — there is no place to safely store them.
- You can pose for family photos near the stage and banners once the event concludes.
When you arrive:
- Follow the posted signs to the designated assembly area by department (see below for specifics)
- Once in the room go to the check-in table to fill out the reader card.
- Indicate on the reader card either the phonetic spelling of your name OR a familiar word that rhymes with your name.
- Hold on to this card until it is your turn to cross the stage. You will hand it to the reader as you approach the podium.
- The professional photographer will use your reader card as a means to contact you with photo proofs in the days following the event; use the QR code to access online form
- Staff and student marshals will be available to help graduates prepare for the processional. Graduates line up alphabetically.
- Do not arrive late; the hallways and stairwells will be used for lining up graduates for the processional and navigating around is difficult.
- Processional begins at 10:00 a.m.. Each department will enter, with their faculty, and the lead student carrying a banner.
- You will be directed to your seat by staff marshals.
Crossing the stage:
- When it is time to cross the stage, your department will be instructed to line up along the side of the room.
- Before going on stage please use the hand sanitizer stationed by the steps
- After giving your name card to the person at the podium, please proceed across the stage in front of the podium and approach your department head
- Bump fists with the department head using right hand, accept commemorative medal with the left
Proceed toward the Dean for photo op
- If you wish to be photographed shaking hands with the Dean, simply approach the dean and extend your right hand. You will hold the handshake while a photo is taken
- If you wish to fist bump the Dean, please approach the Dean with your right fist raised to your shoulder
- If you prefer to not make contact with the Dean, simply approach him with your right hand at your side and pose for a side-by-side picture
- After descending the stage you will stand for a portrait photo and then be greeted by faculty members from your department before returning to your seat
Department Assembly Rooms:
- BME - 3rd floor, near track
- ChE - Room 117
- CE - Room 210
- ECE - Room 215
- MIE - Room 118
The University of Massachusetts Amherst looks forward to celebrating the graduates of the Class of 2022 and welcoming their friends and families to campus. As cases of COVID-19 are increasing in Massachusetts and nationally, we know that our commencement events draw thousands from all over. To protect yourself and others, we strongly encourage all graduates and guests to wear a face covering when attending any indoor commencement events, regardless of vaccination status.