2021/22 College of Engineering Scholarship Application Process for Currently Enrolled Engineering Majors
December 11, 2020 — Online Application Process Opens
February 26, 2021 — Deadline to Submit Scholarship Application
Summer 2021 — Recipients are notified via email
More than $400,000 in undergraduate scholarship support was awarded by the College of Engineering for academic year 2020/21 to help students reach their academic and professional goals. These scholarships were generously funded by alumni and friends who wish to recognize academic success and/or address the unmet financial need of our students.
Academic Works, the scholarship system for the university, automatically matches you with the scholarships and financial awards for which you are eligible. These include scholarships and financial awards offered through COE, Commonwealth Honors College, the Alumni Association, financial aid, and your major department. All scholarships offered at UMass are in the AcademicWorks Platform. These include funding for internships, study abroad, financial need, and research. Please note that qualifying/matching does not guarantee you will receive a scholarship.
Simply enroll in AcademicWorks, fill out both the UMass general application and the COE Application to get started.
How to Enroll and Apply:
1. Go to the Academic Works webpage and sign in with your UMass Net ID and password.
2. Complete both the General and COE Applications.
3. Click on any recommended opportunity links and upload supplementary documents (scholarship specific essays, resumes, letters from faculty, etc.).
4. Check your dashboard, which shows you the status of any pending and submitted applications.
If you have questions about the software, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All CURRENT undergraduate College of Engineering students who intend to return to UMass Amherst for the 2021-2022 academic year are encouraged to apply!
We have received a few questions about the list of recommended opportunities that you will see in AcademicWorks after completing your General and College of Engineering Applications. By completing the College of Engineering scholarship application, you are automatically applied to all Engineering scholarships for which you qualify*. The list of recommended opportunities are scholarships that are available campus-wide that require additional application materials. You will not see the Engineering scholarships in the list of recommended opportunities because you do not need to submit additional materials for them.
*Please note that qualifying does not guarantee you will receive a scholarship. You will be notified via your UMass email if you are selected to receive a scholarship.
What Happens After You Apply
- Applications are reviewed — matched to criteria from the donor.
- You may be asked to interview for scholarships tied to internships
- The scholarship committee, with representatives from each department, meets in June to begin selecting recipients.
- Notification emails are sent through AcademicWorks over the summer.
- You will be required to complete a thank you letter to your scholarship donor and submit through AcademicWorks for review/approval.
- Credit will be applied to your university bill and will appear as an engineering scholarship.
- Scholarships may be affected if you decide to change your major or chose to work a co-op.
- If other scholarships become during the academic year, you will be considered and notified if you are selected.
- Selections are made by the College of Engineering Scholarship Committee, with faculty representation from each department.
- By completing the AcademicWorks general application and College of Engineering conditional application you will be considered for hundreds of scholarships the College awards each year
- 50% of UMass Amherst College of Engineering undergraduates qualify for need-based aid.
- 44.6% of students enrolled in the College of Engineering have a gap between their college expenses and the amount of financial aid, which is often referred to as unmet need.
- The average unmet need [gap between college expenses and financial aid] is $9,519
- The awards vary annually based on available resources.
- Different awards vary in their eligibility criteria. In general, academic performance (2.5 GPA or higher), financial need, and activities are the primary criteria for full-time students majoring in engineering. Some scholarships may be tied to internships with companies.
- You must be enrolled full-time as an engineering major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and have completed at least one semester to be eligible for any of these scholarships.
Please direct questions to:
Office of the Dean
First-year engineering majors entering UMass Amherst in Fall:
There are a limited number of merit scholarships offered through the University Admissions Office to the top applicants in the incoming class. Selection for these scholarships is based on your application to UMass Amherst (i.e. high school transcript, SAT scores, class rank, essay, etc.). There is no separate application to submit. For more information, please visit: http://www.umass.edu/admissions/facts-and-figures/scholarships